Monday, August 6, 2012

Sault Ste. Marie Summer Celebration Days


On a sunny afternoon, my husband Don and I headed to downtown Sault Ste. Marie, MI for the History Fest, sidewalk sales, Navy band and other festivities on August 3, 2012.  It was a perfect day for these events. First we explored the sidewalk sales.  Not really needing anything, I wasn’t really in the buying mood. I did find a shirt and caramel corn.  It was so yummy.  I wish I would have purchased more.  Cheerleaders and dancers were going to put on a performance around 4:30p.m.  We did observe cheerleaders, three young women using swords and other props and one young woman wielding a hula hoop.  I was impressed with her hula hoop abilities.  It brought me back to my younger years when I could make the hula hoop leave my hips and make it up to my neck and back to my waist.  Why can’t I do that now?  I barely can make it go around my waist. 

We entered the Island Book and Gift Store and sat in these wooden outdoor chairs that were very comfortable to sit in.  I also observed some beautiful art work.  I have my eye on a picture painted of the Mackinac Bridge.  The artist used various colors of blue, very beautiful.  I saw Bernadine Cook’s children’s books.  There were homemade Afghans and other beautiful art items for sale.  You should visit their store. 

We headed to where we thought the history festival.  There needed to be signs telling us where to go. We heard drums so we headed towards the sound of the drums.  A Pow Wow was being held.  The regalia was phenomenal, beautiful dresses, grass dancing regalia, lots of pride in who they are and represent.  I am usually mesmerized when I watch the dancing and listen to the drums and singing.  First of all, I was standing next to a friend and another acquaintance approached and I asked her about budgets and things associated with Lake Superior Elders. A lot was discussed and plans were made for an additional meeting. 

On the way to where we thought the History Fest was being held, we stopped and talked with friends, Burt and his wife.  They were watching their grandson perform with a band with an average age of 14.  We were sorry we missed most of their performance. We found out when their performances were scheduled the next day. One of the friends we were talking to was retired from the Army Core of Engineers.  I told him about observing a talk given by someone who worked for the Army Core of Engineers and what I remember the man saying which was “We can maintain and fix anything.”  Our friend, Burt, said “Not since I haven’t been there.”  We laughed.  On our way to the history fest, I saw a man and two of his children standing in the doorway of the Army Core of Engineers.  I was having trouble locating a number in the phone book to see if I could arrange a presentation for the Lake Superior Elders.  I didn’t get his name, but he gave me a name and phone number to set up a possible presentation.  I told him about the presentation I saw on Engineers Day and what I remember about being able to fix anything.  My husband Don piped up and said what Burt said about not being able to fix everything since he left and we all laughed.  This man was a best friend of one of Burt’s sons, small world.

At the Pow Wow, I sat next to my friend, Maria, and began discussing things such as what we were up to.  I talked about my first book and the second book I am working on.  She mentioned a dancer and some of her life story and it popped in my mind that we, meaning Maria and I, could write a book together about success stories of Native American people in the area.  She thought that was an excellent idea.  We both started brainstorming about who to interview.  We watched the Pow Wow some more and then it was time to depart and head towards the park where the concert was going to be held.  The Navy Band of the Great Lakes gave a wonderful performance. We listened to blue grass, Celtic music, oldies and top forty songs. We had a great time and looked forward to partaking in the events the next day. 

It’s Saturday, and it’s off to see the car show, history fest activities and other festivities.  After eating lunch, we perched on lounge chairs in the shade to listen to the rock band comprised of young teenagers.  They were very good and will be very popular when they get older.  The name of their band is Tantrym Tyme. Some of the boys have long hair and they were shaking their heads wildly while playing their guitars.  We were sitting next to a Tattoo shop. I was surprised to see some of the people enter the shop such as women in their 60s.  Two teenage boys and one girl rode on skateboards on the road in front of us twice.  There was a very large inflatable eagle set up to advertise the Eagles Hockey Team. I purchased a sweatshirt for my grandson that had an eagle on it.  He’s into Eagles.  My grandson likes the Philadelphia Eagles.

We headed towards the car show.  It seemed smaller this year.  There were cars displayed from various decades in very good shape, actually the engines appeared as if you could eat off them.  How long does it take to get a car ready for a car show?  A mutual friend of my husband and I stated she waxed her truck for eight hours to prepare it for the car show last year.  The main thing I wanted to do that day was go to the book sale at the library and forgot all about it.  So I lucked out and found a book sale at the old theater for donation only.  I need more books like a need a hole in my head.  My mom use to say that when I was growing up, when something seemed unnecessary.  Where did that come from?  I am also reminded of Phineas Cage the man who had a spike driven through his head and this incident was used to study the inner workings of the brain. 

We explored the sidewalk sales some more and then thought we better explore the history fest some more.  The Pow Wow was not going on so we explored the historic homes on Water Street.  Our first stop was the Johnston home.  There are some artifacts and history that were described by Jim Couling, a dolcen. He also is in charge of the Twilight Tours that are held in Sault Ste. Marie and St. Ignace. We stopped at Bishop Baraga’s home and discovered that there is a lot of renovations going on at that home.  It was so hot and muggy that when we entered the Kenn Museum, the air conditioning was very much welcomed.  We learned about the tannery, coal and leather businesses of the past.  Again, I am reminded about what a busy city Sault Ste. Marie was in the past.

We walked down to the park to watch the Navy band perform; but the information in the flyer was wrong when we asked a man from the band about the schedule.  The city did plan a lot of fun and interesting activities but did give some wrong information. The band was scheduled to play at 4:00 p.m. according to the flyer, however they were not going to perform until 7:00 that evening. My husband and I were getting tired from being in the heat of the day for so long, it was in the low 90s, so we walked down to the water to watch ships going through the locks while sitting under a tree.  Sure enough there was a large ship, it was interesting with cranes, etc.  We decided to do some grocery shopping and head home to watch television in front of fans while enjoying strawberry shakes.  All and all, it was a wonderful weekend.  Thanks Sault Ste. Marie.






3 comments:

  1. Many wonderful activities to participate in if you open your eyes and your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my comment. I was telling you how fun it was to think about August and all the heat when it is so cold tonight. In fact we were suppose to come to the shelter to help with the kitties but the roads are bad so we are staying home.
    I never could hoola hoop . I guess I cannot move my hips ,not even as a skinny little girl. My sister was the best hoola hooper ever.
    I love caramel corn it is one of my favorite.
    I love armed forces bands they are very professional and very good. Music in the lovey cool green locks park with the big boats going through is delightful. There is almost always a breeze and plenty of shade.
    It is too bad about the misinformation and not good advertised public directions. No one knew where the festival was. The historic homes and festival are hard to find and for what ever reason the powers that be do not want to advertise it or put signs up at the locks or handout flyers or send docents down to direct the people to the place.
    We would like to see wagons or trolleys or the tour train or something to transport guests to the festival.
    I did have a lot of guest going through the historic Johnston home all day .It was so hot ,I was kept running telling over and over again the fascinating story of the Johnston. I love being a docent but :I needed a break and a some water that is why I finally went to the Kemp Museum. The air conditioning felt good.
    That is how Jim toured you through that day. We had switched places so I could eat ,drink and get out of the heat. Next time we know to build in breaks.This was Jim and my first year as docents. Jim had gone up to spend the night with the voyageurs at the festival and he saw some of the Pow Wow .He had to go after our St.Ignace walk on Friday.
    I had a small chance to go to the sidewalk sales and they were pretty fun.
    This year they will charge for the History Fest. Will anyone be able to find it?
    This is for anyone who has not checked out Island Book Store. The owner Les Townsend is delightful. Bernadine Cook's books are there. It has new and used books. It is a comfortable homey shop with lots of Mich made art at reasonable prices. It is truly lovely .It does the artist heart that is in us good . It should be seen by everyone living in or touring the Sault. I love this place.
    Also please note that the Johnston House falls under the category as a place that should be seen by everyone visiting or living in the Sault. There are free concerts by Susan Askwith and Dave Stanaway. They have original music written by them about the fur trade and John Johnston and his wife Susan. This is brilliant work and lots of fun every Tues. and Thurs. in July and August 2 pm . Caroline G. is a wonderful story teller there almost every day at 1 pm.
    Then there is Jim and I who are not only knowledgeable docents we are pretty entertaining ; we also adopted Susan Johnston's garden and you should come check it out.It is beautiful adn only a short walk form the locks. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love opening my eyes and mind and am learning every day how to do this better.

    ReplyDelete