Friday, September 7, 2012

Wooo.... Haaa.....


The end of summer bash at a farm in Wolverine, MI was held on a balmy Friday night on August 31st.  The theme of the party was “What Happened to Summer,” or “Woo… Haa….”  The summer months sped by like a jet speeding down a runway preparing for takeoff.  The guests for the party were selected from the Wolverine and surrounding area book of eclectic individuals.  The party was hosted by my sister Shelley and her husband Roderick and their collection of animals; hens, goats, chickens and a cat.  Our two dogs added to the entertaining and interesting atmosphere.  Visiting a world unlike my own is always an adventure.  I was looking forward to the music of a different sort along with an assortment of food.

When we arrived, a large group of people were sitting on various chairs, trunks, and a porch swing around a camp fire.  There was a large table set up with a smorgasbord.  It always amazes me when a potluck is held that rarely does someone bring the same dish as anyone else.  My sister gave me a head’s up about one of her friends, who happened to be from the Philippines. I think she ended up in this country as a mail order bride.  I could be wrong.  This woman is known for her chicken feet delights and other unique dishes. I tried one of the chicken feet and they actually tasted like chicken. I guess I don’t know what else they would taste like.  I watched her cook trout wrapped in foil on an open fire that she had marinated for a couple of weeks.  Her daughter Emma hung out with me while she was cooking the fish.  I was told that Emma is selective of who she hangs out with so I took that as a compliment.  There was barbecue beef dish, salads, vegetables, etc. and I brought my well-known zucchini bread, dilly beans, and pickled beets.  Shelley provided the guests with plates, napkins, and plastic ware.

Shelley and Roderick have established some long-lasting friendships in Wolverine.  These friends possess a variety of talents and interests.  Roderick makes instruments such as sweet sticks (a long wooden instrument with three strings) and dulcimers.  As a result of his musical interests, he has accumulated many friends with musical talent.  At the party I observed several men playing the wash tub base including Roderick.  Someone played an antique wash board.  There were approximately 12 musicians altogether playing guitars, drums, mandolins, and the instruments mentioned above.  They played and sang around the camp fire songs and songs that were well known.  I could have listened to them all night.  They quit playing when it became too dark. 

Shelley has a friend who just found out she was expecting a little bundle of joy.  She is with someone who already has a daughter.  She had to sneak off and get sick because of morning sickness which didn’t visit her only in the morning.  Her significant other was recently diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease and is in the eighth month of this disease so he doesn’t have much time and his hands are already becoming disabled.  I told my sister that her situation reminded me of how fortunate we are and I am going to pray for the family.

My husband, Don, being the outdoor enthusiast, walked all over their 30 acre property and took the dogs for a walk to the Sturgeon River three times during our visit which always has a fast current. I went with him once the next morning. The dogs went swimming and chased sticks.  Our dogs were a source of conversation while we sat around the camp fire. 

The moon appeared brightly over the horizon and begin approaching its highest peak around 10:00 p.m.  It was a blue moon, which is a second full moon in one month.  The women howled at the moon. We all laughed. You’ve heard of the saying “once in a blue moon.” Since there wasn’t a cloud cover, the air became chilly so we had to don jackets and long pants.  Some of the women, including me, stoked up the fire and soon the campfire was blazing and the flames were dancing in the moonlight.  Someone asked if anyone brought marshmellows.  Shelley said she had all the makings for s’mores.  So guess what we did next.  We retired for the evening in our popup trailer with smiles on our faces.

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I love this. What fun I wish I could have been there. You know I love dulcimers and singing . It all sounds like a great time. I know where I was on this night. I was sitting at the beach in St. Ignace watching the Blue moon over the water of Lake Huron with my wonderful husband Jim. Gary had prepared us all for the blue moon. Thanks Gary

    ReplyDelete