Thursday, June 7, 2018

Climbing Mt. Avalanche




Mt. Avalanche is a scenic overlook and popular hiking location. It takes 462 stairs to reach the top unless you climb in the other direction which involves a steady incline until you reach the top. Once you reach the top by climbing the stairs, you have the perfect view of Lake Charlevoix especially beautiful when the leaves have turned the fabulous colors of orange, red and yellow in the fall. I have been hiking at this park for approximately ten years and feel at home when I am on the trails. I have met many wonderful people and their dogs. It is a phenomenal place to lose oneself if you are into walking meditations listening to the leaves crunching under your feet and the birds flying overhead.

            I introduced the hiking trails to my husband Don a while ago so every time we visit Boyne Mt. and Boyne City we climb Mt. Avalanche. It used to be a ski hill many years ago and now children slide down the hill. Many people play disc golf on the mountain or very large hill. I have seen many deer. One time a deer stood staring at me while I was on one of the side trails, very peaceful and a great way to explore nature.

            In February of this year I decided to leave my comfort zone and climb the mountain taking the steady incline way. I usually stay clear of the mountain during the winter time. I was surprised to discover the trails were groomed and it was an easy climb. I am long in the tooth so I am impressed with myself that I challenge myself with hiking in so many places including Mt. Avalanche. I thoroughly enjoy being in the woods. In fact, it’s some of the things I do besides walking our dogs and the dogs at the shelter to find balance in my life. I love being in the fresh air, experiencing nature and smelling the scents in a wooded area.

            The end of March of this year I returned to Boyne Mt. to get away and start working on another book. I ended up climbing the mountain four times. The first time was a challenge, the trails were not groomed and I walked on snow that thawed then froze again. It was bumpy and a little treacherous. I still made it to the top. Had to be careful on the way down in some areas. I patted myself on the back for accomplishing this feat. I saw two deer and heard but could not find a woodpecker. I think they are such unique birds. I saw children sliding down the mountain. I met some dogs and people.

I am very lucky to be given many opportunities throughout the year to visit Boyne Mt. I stay at our vacation properties, nice condos that are fully equipped. I enjoy many of the sights at Boyne City and on the campus of the Boyne Mt. Ski Resort and Blue/Green properties. I am looking forward to returning to the area in May of this year. My family have been instructed to put my ashes on top of the mountain, it is that dear to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment