Monday, August 6, 2018

Moon Pie




My attempt at fasting was short lived when I struggled to stay alone on a hill. It was a nice fall day. The sun was shining and there was a slight breeze. The sky was the prettiest shade of blue. The conifer trees were emanating a smell of pine needles and cedar.  The leaves were turning majestic colors, putting forth a brightly colored cacophony of magnificent art. I was on top of a large hill in the middle of the woods near Garden River in Canada. Thoughts of spending the night alone in such a desolate location was starting to wear on me. Filled with shame, I climbed down and went to my car and headed to the reservation to meet with my native spiritual guide. I was not able to carry out what my sister and so many other women did before me.

Ethel welcomed me at the lodge and made me a belonga sandwich. She assured me that I was not the first woman who could not meet the challenge and went on to tell me that most women fasted with other women.

            We sat and talked for a while. She has made comments in the past that hurt my feelings and we discussed what was said. “I was afraid that you didn’t like me,” I said.

            “That’s not the case,” replied Ethel.

            Experiencing some feelings of guilt, Ethel thought she would provide me with something to take home with me as a remembrance of my time on the hill.

            Ethel and her significant other had dogs and puppies running around their property. One looked like a Siberian husky. She was beautiful with gray and white fur and blue eyes. A little shy and elusive, so I didn’t get to know her as well as I did Itchy the adult male dog who fathered her puppies. His fur was predominantly cream colored with large light brown spots. Friendly dog who liked being petted.

            Ethel introduced me to one of her puppies. The puppy was mostly black with caramel colored eye brows and paws. Her belly sported what appeared to be wolf fur. She was approximately 25 pounds. Ethel told me she was born on July 20th so that made her approximately two months old. Old enough to be weaned from her mother.

            “Do you want to take her home?” asked Ethel.

            Surprised, I responded, “sure.”

            My thoughts included the possibility of getting her in the car and across the international bridge. If I managed to do so she will be ours. I had my doubts.

            To my astonishment, she climbed into my little red Mercury Tracer and we sped off toward the international bridge. The man at the customs booth commented on how nervous my dog was. She was drooling all over the center panel between the two front seats. That was it. We made it through customs. She was going to be our dog.

            On our way to her new home, I asked her what her name would be. My sister had a friend who named her black dog “Moon.” I liked that name. I also thought I would give her a formal Indian name, “Giizhess Mingen Kwe” meaning Moon Wolf Woman.

            “How about calling you Moon?” I asked. Moon was settling down in the back seat and she started wagging her tail. “Moon, it is.”

            Don, my husband, quickly departed from our home to greet me when he saw four little furry legs walking beside me. I made him so happy because he has been wanting a dog for quite a while.    

Fix this part: To aid with getting the puppy out of the car and because I had to haul in my sleeping bag and other supplies I took with me from my failed fasting experience.


            I said, “meet Moon.”

            Don, being the easy-going dog loving man, bent down and petted Moon. He was beaming. Unknown to me he has wanted a dog for years since he got divorced from his first wife and had to take his dog to his parents in Ohio because he couldn’t keep her anymore.

            I have to be honest with you. I was not raised with a lot of dogs, only two I can remember growing up. We mostly had cats, orange ones that our hairdresser gave us. I looked at this as an adventure. I love animals of all persuasions. I convinced myself that I could make this work with the help of Don. I learned at a later date that he absolutely loved dogs and would not mind having ten of the furry companions. He told me about many of his dog companions when he was growing up and the dog he had with his ex-wife. He had to bring his dog to be raised by his parents when he got divorced. He was heartbroken because he could not care for his dog anymore. She was a cute little beagle named Abbie.

            We got off to the rocky start with being new guardians of a dog. Due to my ignorance, I thought Moon would stay in the yard if I put her outside. She did not. I was frantic and looked all over the neighborhood for her. Don came home and went to the little corner store and saw a notice hung about a lost puppy and it was our little Moon. I was so relieved.

            We had to figure out something to keep her in the yard when she went out to do her business. We had to get some much needed supplies, dog food was a definite need. Don purchased a lead that was connected to our front deck and a leash.

            Our new little charge was getting adjusted to her new surroundings. The minute she walked into our home, our cat named Bud decided to let Moon know who was in charge.

            Bud had a presence which proved to be intimidating to dogs. The first time Moon and Bud met, Moon peed herself out of fear of Bud. It was not obvious to us what he did but Moon sure got the message. At a later date, Bud sent a large white dog named Ralph, my daughter’s dog, running for his life from behind the French doors to our bathroom. Bud did not have claws. What did he do?   

           

           

           

           

           

           

           

           

           

           

           

           

No comments:

Post a Comment