Sunday, January 6, 2019

My Secret Admirer




One day I opened my locker and found a valentine with a pack of gum taped to it. The note on the valentine said “from your secret admirer.” I was thrilled and puzzled at the same time. Who could it be I wondered. For two weeks about every other day, I received things like chocolate, gum and a bracelet with a heart on it. For something like this to happen to me was a shock. I wasn’t quite a wall flower, but I wasn’t one of the popular girls either. I was in between if you know what I mean. I had some teenage boys show an interest in me but it usually didn’t go to far. I was felt I was destined to hang out with my girlfriends instead of having someone steady to call my own.

I started imagining who could have left me those special little gifts. I wanted it to be Tom, a football jock who smiled at me on occasion. Tom had the kindest eyes and those broad shoulders. I envisioned myself curled up with him at a movie. Having him pick me out in the stands when he was playing football.

Then I imagined what it would be like to be going with one of the most popular boys in high school. He was one year older than me. I was a sophomore and he was a junior. He could have any girl he wanted. I sat in study hall day dreaming about what it would be like to be going steady with Tom. I was so deep in my thoughts that I didn’t notice a boy sit next to me.

“Sharon, did you take notes in world history today?” asked Simon. Simon and I did homework together on occasion.  Simon had an orthodontic appointment and had to miss the first part of the school day.

“Yes, here they are,” I said. I handed him the notes. His hand brushed my hand and he looked into my eyes.  I didn’t think anything of it. I have known Simon has had a crush on me for quite some time, but I told him we were just going to be friends.

“How did your appointment go today?” I asked.

“I don’t have to wear the night gear anymore,” replied Simon.

The bell rang and we went our separate ways.

Another note was slid into the slot at the top of my locker. My secret admirer told me he was going to meet me after school by my locker when the last bell rang for the day. My heart did a little gleeful beat in anticipation of finally finding out. I so hoped it was going to be Tom. I had two more classes before the reveal of my secret admirer. I had trouble concentrating all afternoon. I was dreamily hoping it would be Tom.

It was finally the end of the day. The time to find out who he was. I stood by my locker and a boy approached me. I was not exactly sure who he was until he told me his name. It was Ted. He told me he was in my Spanish class.

Why don’t I know him, I asked myself.  I told him I liked receiving the nice notes and gifts. He smiled at me shyly. I have to let him down easy, I said to myself.

“Hey, I do remember you. I told him. (I lied.) I really don’t know you so how about we hang out sometime and get to know each other.” He told me he would like that. I rode the bus home from school disheartened that it wasn’t Tom, but felt that perhaps Ted would end up being a good friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment