Sunday, April 7, 2019

Buddy's Day at the Garage Sale




It was a chilly morning in May. I was preparing our garage for a garage sale to start the sale. Of course, there were early arrivals. I was rushing to put up the signs and open the doors. I hid the money in one of the boxes I placed bags in and retrieved it. I was ready to go. Buddy, our neighbor’s cat, who lived across the road from us was making his way to me. Excited that I was outside and hopeful I would pay attention to him.

He was a rather large orange tabby with a friendly personality. His guardians were at work and they told us at an earlier time that Buddy would run between their legs to get outside so he would not be trapped inside their home while they were at work. Buddy ended up being a neighborhood cat. Most of the people in our neighborhood knew Buddy. Buddy liked to hang out with our dogs in our front yard. He would bring us dead birds as his way of thanking us for being his friends.

I had a small card table set up to complete sale transactions and I was sitting on a chair near that table. Buddy walked over to me and I picked him up. He was a purring machine. Loved getting attention. Buddy ended up greeting lots of the people who came to my sale. People would pet him and say what a nice cat he was. One man asked me if he wanted my cat removed from the clothing. I asked if he would. I was busy taking care of a customer.

We had a bunch of ski’s for sale, cross country and down hill ski’s. Some were very old and were donated to us some time ago. One couple decided they wanted to buy most of them. They loaded up their SUV with the ski’s and were on their way. Shortly after they left, they returned. They said they happened to look at the back seat and Buddy was sitting on the seat.

“We are returning your cat. He decided to go for a ride with us,” said the woman.

“Not my cat. He’s the neighbor’s cat. Thanks for returning him,” I replied.

I shook my head and gave Buddy a stern look and told him not to do that anymore. my

Buddy continued to sit on my lap when possible and greet customers. Everyone thought it was great to be greeted by such a character.

We have our own cats who are strictly inside cats. Buddy has just made himself at home with us. I guess animals can spot animal lovers a mile away.

The sale was very successful. I managed to get rid of a lot of stuff and made some money doing so. I loaded up one of our SUVs with the remaining items from the sale and my husband delivered the items to Good Will. 

I headed inside our home and Buddy followed suit. First time he has entered our home. My arms were full so I couldn’t stop him. He was exhausted because cats are not usually on the go for as long as Buddy was that day. He jumped on our bed and fell fast asleep next to our cats. They were none the wiser. After he woke up, he was shoed outside. That concludes Buddy’s day at the garage sale.


No comments:

Post a Comment