Monday, October 1, 2012

My Adventures at Boyne Mountain


I was off to Boyne Mountain for a fun time with family, shopping, and a writing retreat on Friday, Sept. 28, 2012.  It was a nice day, warmer than usual.  My sister, Shelley, was joining me for some fun at the mountain.  We checked in and went into Boyne City for dinner.  I decided to take Shelley to a restaurant that was a part of an old movie theater. The owners did some major renovations. My daughter and I love the bathrooms at this restaurant.  You will have to check out this restaurant.  It appears that all the staff love their jobs at this restaurant, you can tell.  I mowed our grass at home and walked my mom’s dog so I was famished.  I went to the right spot.  The restaurant’s name is now “The Thirsty Goat,” which is humorous because my sister raises goats.  The restaurant has had several names over the past few years.  The food is elegantly served and delicious. I had the perch dinner which I highly recommend.

I was contacted by one of the owners, her name is Robin, from the Freshwater Studio and she requested that I drop off more books to sell in their store so since we were parked in front of the store I thought I would have Shelley tag along while I drop off the books.  Another owner of the Freshwater Studio store is Tony, he was busy meeting with people concerning the purchase of a guitar for his daughter.  Both owners are husband and wife and they are both musicians.  My husband and I have listened to Robin perform and I have purchased several of her CD’s.  Tony wasn’t sure what to do concerning my books; but my sister asked if he would like for her to do a feature article in the Gaylord News covering their store. Tony asked if she could do a write up on the concert series they provide to the community at Freshwater Studio.

Shelley overheard the discussions about guitars and added that her husband has a 1963 Gibson Guitar that’s not for sale.  While walking around the store, Shelley spied a large base and inquired about the base.  It has been a dream of Shelley’s to play the base.  She stood up the base and began plucking the strings.  There was a conversation about bases and Shelley told him about the wash tub base that her and her husband play.  To my surprise, Tony told her that wash tub bases are more difficult to play because it is more difficult to find an A for example and he demonstrated how to play an A chord on the base. I was a little surprised to find out that the base was for sale for $1800.  Whew!! It is a beautiful instrument.  Shelley and Tony discussed the article again and Tony gave her two tickets for next week’s Ragbirds concert so she could conduct her research for the article. Before we left the Freshwater Studio, Tony yelled out to Shelley,”Bring in the Gibson.” She laughed.

We proceeded to the coffee shop/book store to partake in delicious coffee, Shelley had an almond joy flavored coffee and I had my usual with pumpkin pie spice, yum.  We reviewed some of the books and Shelley enjoyed looking at the magnets and greeting cards. 

I brought Shelley to the Inspired Living Store and had her sign up to get discounts and gift certificates on her birthday.  I love the smells of the candles and incense; however my sister is allergic to a lot of these fragrances.  I bought my favorite tea and another item and we were off to go to the wine store so I could use my birthday coupon.  I purchased Asiago cheese, which I love, and I also a package of water processed decaf coffee.  The water processed coffee is one of the best coffees to drink, the process for preparing this coffee is pure and natural, water is used. 

We headed back to the condo to unpack and then we took a leisurely walk over to the outdoor hot tub.  At one point, this hot tub was the largest outdoor hot tub in Michigan; but I think Boyne Highlands has a bigger one now.  There were people of all ages hanging out in the heated pool and the hot tub.  It was a nice evening and the water was just right.  We looked up at the stars, the sky was clear.  It was such a nice night.  We walked back to the condo, snacked and talked and finally went to sleep. 

Like all adult women we usually end up talking about the frustrating things our mothers do and talk about other family members.  My daughters talk about me a lot too.  Why is that?  I would like to meet the perfect mother and see what I am missing if there is such a thing. 

Shelley departed around lunch time the next day after being fed a large breakfast complete with cheesy scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, oranges, fried potatoes with onions, and cranberry juice.  I was full until dinner time and so was my sister she reported during a later phone conversation.  I hung out at the condo, walked to the outdoor hot tub and then worked on my second book.  I can see that I am making real progress with that book.

The next day, the plan was to meet with my youngest daughter, Mandy, and her fiancée, Darren, at Sam’s club.  Darren has a membership to Sam’s club.  When I was on Airport Drive, I looked behind me and there was Darren and Mandy right behind.  You know how busy Traverse City is, the chances of that happening is almost nil.  I laughed.  When I arrived at Sam’s Club, I discovered that my oldest daughter, Erica, was behind their car, our three silver gray cars were traveling together. How weird is that?

My goal was to purchase Nathan hot dogs; but to my chagrin there were no cases available for purchase.  I was a little disappointed; but have a plan to pick up some hot dogs when I am in Traverse City for my daughter’s wedding in a couple of weeks.  After Sam’s club I did some major shopping and then I headed back to Boyne.  I was elated when I found shoes to wear at my daughter’s wedding and I didn’t pay an arm and a leg.  Yes!!!

The next day, I had a plan of climbing Avalanche Mountain, and I did it.  I climbed the 400 plus steps to the top and viewed beautiful scenery that included Lake Charlevoix and the valley below. The fall colors were in full bloom.  One woman pointed to the other side of the lake where the town of Charlevoix is.  I met several wonderful people while on my hike, most were walking their dogs up and down the mountain.  I highly suggest climbing the mountain and taking in the wonderful view from on top of the mountain.

An older man explained the game of Frisbee golf to me.  There are 18 metal contraptions that are located in various locations on the mountain.  Chains on these apparatus’ catch the Frisbees.  Green posts mark where the players are to stand when they throw their Frisbees towards the targets.  They have to throw the Frisbees from 150 to almost 300 feet from the target. Trees and corners serve as barriers.  It looks almost impossible to hit the targets.  I observed a young man trying to hit the target and he wasn’t standing near one of the starting points, he tried to hit the target while standing on a path directly in front of the target.  I observed two young men and a young woman who were throwing a Frisbee from an appointed location and they almost made it to the target, amazing. 

While on my walk, I observed a blue jay and a lot of Savannah Sparrows. I have seen a lot of Savannah Sparrows this year. The ground was covered with fallen leaves.  The sun was beaming down through the trees.  I thoroughly enjoyed this hike and was very proud of myself for climbing the mountain.  I plan on visiting the indoor hot tub early this evening and then I will head back to my wonderful husband and a house full of pets the following day. I may stop by and visit with a friend who adopted four cats from the Chippewa County Animal Shelter.  I have food for the cats. What a perfect way to end my visit to Boyne Mountain. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely fun. I have a perfect mother.
    She lives right off Airport Rd. in Traverse City How fun to be with your daughters I love being with mine. I do not know what a Savannah Sparrow is. Is it different then a just plain sparrow?It sounds like this was a productive fun time.

    ReplyDelete