Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Rituals of Our Lives


Robert Fulfhum summed it up so well in his book entitled “From Beginning to End: The Rituals of Our Lives” when he described some of the dilemmas we encounter. Some of the dilemmas may include facing various barriers concerning our own productivity. I have faced a road block with the writing of my second book.  He stated in this book that is you are facing a barrier with accomplishing specific goals to stop what you are doing and organize a drawer. I was having difficulty locating resources amongst the extensive amount of materials I managed to collect throughout the years.  I believe that people with similar interests would drool if they viewed my entire collection.  Sometimes I wish I could be cloned into five of me so I could read all my books, write, participate in all the other things I enjoy doing, and get what I need to get accomplished, done.  You get the point.  I think a lot of women feel the way I do, especially the women who are creative, intelligent and ambitious. 

So as a result of the road block I was facing, I took on the very tedious task of moving all of the resources I used to complete my first book to a set of book shelves in another part of our home.  These resources were being stored primarily on a large set of book shelves and a hutch in a haphazard manner in the dining room area of our home.  I wanted to move the resources to my office in the basement.  I felt that I needed to organize these resources in a specific order depending on the topic such as all resources pertaining to historical information associated with Native Americans, self help books and books relating to religious and spiritual information.  What a daunting task to say the least. 

While conducting research for my second book, I came across a book that was associated with simplifying your life.  So to make this intimidating task even more difficult I also went through all my books, papers from college, etc. to get rid of what I considered unnecessary clutter. I have at least 12 sets of book shelves loaded with resources and books.  I am a self-proclaimed bibliophile, a very committed one.  I absolutely love the written word.  I love writing and reading it.  So I begin my journey with this difficult but hopefully satisfying venture.  I told my husband that if he didn’t see me in a couple of days to come looking for me. 

While I was going through all my resources in my office and dining room area, I discovered a whole host of treasures; but at the same time I managed to get rid of two stacks of books that were at least a couple feet tall each.  I also achieved getting rid of a stack of paperwork at least four feet high.  I was so happy with myself and feel as if I can get past my road block.  I am over half way done with the second book, with the writing of it that is.  I still have a couple of other daunting tasks to complete.  Don’t tell my husband; but he is going to be involved in these endeavors also; but I am on my way to feeling more content with how things are organized. I feel as if I can finish writing my second book and tackle so much more.  Clutter and disorganization can deter anyone from completing their goals. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I am constantly trying to organize and clean out I feel I am one of the creative,intelligent ,ambitious women you talk of. This again is just as you told it to me. I am inspired by what you do ,say an write.

    ReplyDelete