Saturday, July 1, 2023

Don't Be Discouraged (Writers' Encouragement)

 

 By Sharon Brunner

 I have been writing a book, which has had several deadlines.  The manuscript has been given to an editor and she went over it with a fine tooth comb.  However, since the time I received it back from the editor with revision suggestions, I have made additional revisions beyond what the editor suggested.  My editor also made recommendations concerning the content of my manuscript.  So it was back to the drawing board for additional research.  I kept reminding myself that with everything I do I am closer to achieving my goal, which is the completion of my book. 

Set your work aside for at least two weeks before picking it up again.  Looking at your work with fresh eyes is best.  Read your work out loud to yourself and/or others.  Have another person review your work and request honest feedback.  This is when you need to grow thick skin.  Oftentimes, you will only hear the things that need to be changed and improved and not the good things associated with your work.  It is important to stress the need to be open and receptive to comments.  Your written work has become a part of you, you have fed and nourished it and it’s difficult to let it go. 

Get your thoughts down.  It doesn’t have to be good, it has to be written. Consider your written work a child with whom you have done the best job possible with raising, and now it’s time to send your child out into the world, ready or not.  That’s how it may feel to present your work to anyone.  Nobody is perfect and everyone comes from different worldviews and viewpoints.  The latter is important to understand where the different comments may come from and having others not agreeing with what you have written.  Keep an open mind with hearing and reading all comments.  The comments may be valid and should be considered.  Also keep in mind this is your work so take what you need and leave the rest. 

Other important points to consider, does your written work flow smoothly, is it believable, and does it make sense.  Pick up your writing project and read it like it is the first time you are reading it and pretend it’s someone else’s. Remove yourself completely from any ownership you may have. I was surprised when I did this and discovered how many additional edits I needed to make. The last point I want to make is to make sure you give yourself praise.  It is vital to the entire process that you remind yourself writing is a process from the conception of your writing ideas to completion.  Every step is an important part of the writing process and every step you take gets you closer to achieving your goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment